Categories: 2012, Cooking, Food, Food and Drink, Recipes
Sunday, 1st January 2012 – Recipes (Chestnut and Carrot Soup)
Chestnut and Carrot Soup
- 900 g chopped carrots
- 300 g chestnuts, cooked and peeled
- 1 tin chestnut puree
- 6 sprigs flat leaf parsley
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 0.5 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 chopped onions
- 6 sticks celery, sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 200 mls pouring cream (optional)
- Salt and black pepper
- 1.5 litres chicken stock
- Melt the butter and oil in a pan over a medium high heat. Add the carrots, onion, celery, thyme, parsley and bay leaf and stir for 4 or 5 minutes. Add the stock, ginger, chestnuts, chestnut puree, salt and pepper, cover and simmer until the carrots are tender. This will take about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Remove the herbs. Process the vegetables and stock in a blender until smooth then put it back in the pan. Add the cream and warm through without boiling.
- Ladle the soup into 4 bowls, and sprinkle some parsley on the top.